An adult version of your childhood favorite
- (0 /5)
- (0 Rating)
- 1 Pound Jalapeño Bacon
- 1/2 White Onion; Minced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic; Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha
- 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 Cup Bourbon or Whiskey
- 1/2 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- Juice of half a Lemon
- Good quality bread like Sourdough or Ciabatta
- 1 Round of Brie Cheese
- Butter; melted
- 1. For the jam, Cut the bacon into lardons and fry in a skillet until crispy. Set aside.
- 2. Caramelize the onion in the bacon fat and add the garlic at the end. Add the sriracha and liquid smoke and stir to combine.
- 3. Add the whiskey/bourbon and bring to a boil. Add the vinegar and brown sugar and boil for a few more minutes.
- 4. Toss in the bacon. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes until it thickens.
- 5. Strain the jam to get rid of the extra bacon fat. Leave chunky or put in a food processor.
- 6. For the grilled cheese, use the same skillet that you used for your jam (you've already got great flavor!). Heat over medium/high. On one slice of bread, place 2 to 3 slices of brie (or enough to cover the slice of bread). If you don't like the rind you can slice it off but it's perfectly ok to leave it.
- 7. On the other slice of bread, put 2 heaping tablespoons of the bacon jam (again, or enough to cover the slice). Put the slices of bread together.
- 8. Spread melted butter on one side of the sandwich and place it butter side down in the skillet. While it's cooking, put melted butter on the side that is facing up. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until it's crispy but not burnt. Flip it over and cook for another few minutes until the cheese is melted.
Always looking for a fun way to cook, Rebecca Combs is a foodie that knows how to spice up something ordinary to be the hit of any gathering.Read more about this chef..